For more than 29 years, the CollegeBound Foundation has helped Baltimore City students realize their dreams of a college education. CollegeBound works exclusively in Baltimore City public schools using a nationally-recognized college advising model that has transformed the lives of more than 67,000 students. Today, CollegeBound operates on-site in 14 Baltimore City public high schools, providing full-time college advisors, delivering need-based funding through “Last Dollar Grants,” and administering an annual scholarship portfolio exceeding $2 million.
Impact of CollegeBound’s Efforts Since 1988
- Leveraged over $49.8 million in financial aid for Last Dollar Grant recipients
- Assisted over 67,762 students one-on-one with completing college applications and finding funds to attend college
- Provided an overview of the college access process to nearly 269,725 students through group presentations
- Awarded over $6 million dollars in need-based Last Dollar Grants to more than 1,881 students
- CollegeBound Last Dollar Grant recipients graduate from 4-year colleges at 2.5 times the college completion rate of students from similar socioeconomic backgrounds
CollegeBound's 3-Part Model
1. College Access Program Specialists (CAPS)
CollegeBound employs 15 full-time CAPS who work inside participating Baltimore City public high schools to create dedicated college centers where students can work one-on-one as they begin, continue, or finish their college application process. Each CAPS is a highly-trained advisor experienced in both college admissions and financial aid. CAPS also understand the specific needs of our Baltimore City youth population. In a typical day, CAPS answer questions, guide students toward scholarships, set up college fairs and college tours, and serve as all-around advisors in what has become an increasingly complex college application and financial process.
2. Competitive Scholarships
CollegeBound manages 172 privately-funded college scholarships valued at more than $2 million. Each fall, CollegeBound distributes these competitive scholarships to deserving Baltimore City public high school seniors. CollegeBound CAPS are instrumental in helping students find and successfully apply to these scholarships. Additionally, our "no scholarship management fee" policy ensures that 100% of donor contributions are applied to each scholarship.
3. Last Dollar Grants
When there's a gap between a financial aid package and what a student can afford, a Last Dollar Grant can bridge that difference and change a life. CollegeBound Last Dollar Grants--offering up to $3,000 annually for up to six years--literally provide the last dollars a student needs to pay for college. Since 1988, over $6 million has been awarded. Last Dollar Grant recipients graduate at 2.5 times the college completion rate of students from similar socioeconomic backgrounds.